Fig Tree Books (www.FigTreeBooks.net, www.twitter.com/FigTreeBks and www.facebook.com/FigTreeBks) is looking for an exceptionally intelligent, enthusiastic, literary-minded Publishing Intern to work as a telecommuting independent contractor (for which you will get paid!) for our Westchester County, New York-based company that is focused on publishing high-quality literary fiction (including YA and graphic novels) and memoirs that deal with the American Jewish Experience. The Publishing Intern will work primarily with the Editor-in-Chief, the Media Editor and the Editorial & Publishing Assistant.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Reading and reviewing newly submitted manuscripts;
- Proofreading acquired manuscripts before they go to print;
- Drafting feedback emails to authors;
- Drafting book-club discussion questions for forthcoming titles;
- Maintaining and expanding the FTB American Jewish Fiction database;
- Researching and creating spreadsheets to help track relevant happenings/contacts in American Jewish culture;
- Helping maintain and expand FTB’s online and social media presence;
- Assisting with other publishing and marketing-related tasks as necessary.
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required:
- A solid understanding of the literary landscape, a passion for books, and an interest in publishing as a business;
- Knowledge of the use of web and social media for book promotion;
- Impeccable writing skills;
- Bachelor’s degree in English, Comparative Literature, or Jewish Studies;
- Location in New York City; Westchester County, New York; Fairfield County, Connecticut; or Northern New Jersey.
The Ideal candidate needs to be able to:
- Work collaboratively and efficiently, especially with third parties;
- Exercise sound judgment while being highly responsive and active;
- Be self-motivated, detail-oriented, and organized;
- Be perpetually willing to learn.
- MFA or Certificate in publishing.
- Previous publishing experience.
Flexible work schedule.
Apply at https://figtreebooks.net/contact/.